WELCOME TO THE WEBSITE OF THE
The SIP Forum is an industry association with members from the leading IP communications companies. Its mission: To advance the adoption and interoperability of IP communications products and services based on SIP.
The Forum promotes SIP as the technology of choice for the control of real-time multimedia communication sessions throughout the Internet, corporate networks, and wireless networks.
The Forum directs technical activities aimed at achieving high levels of product interoperability, provides information on the benefits and capabilities of SIP, and highlights successful applications and deployments.
Each of our Working Groups and Task Groups has their own mailing list, many of which are open to individual, "Participant" members. Please feel free to join them, or to join the general "discussion" mailing list.
The SIP Forum is currently engaged in the following technical activities -- each of which has its own Task Group that includes a unique mailing list, chairperson(s) and group of contributors:
The Forum is open to individual "Participant" members, Academic/Institutional Members, and to corporate "Full Members". Individual "Participant" and Academic/Institutional membership is free.
To view our current Full Member Listing, click HERE. To view our Academic Member Listing, please click HERE.
You can find out more about membership here.
Need more information or logos? Visit our Press Room HERE.
SIPNOC 2014 Dates Announced and Call For Presentations and Registration Opens!
SIPNOC 2014 -- the fourth annual "SIP Network Operators Conference" -- has been announced, and the Call for Presentations has officially been opened! The SIPNOC events are educational conferences focused on the challenges and opportunities related to the deployment of SIP-based carrier services.
Topics explored at SIPNOC 2014 include WebRTC, codec handling, SIP trunking design and deployment, the SIP Forum’s various technical initiatives, Fax over Internet protocol (FoIP) interworking, implementing SIP with IPv6, toll fraud detection and prevention, security best-practices, HD Voice deployment, testing methodologies, applications development, call routing and peering, troubleshooting and monitoring, emergency services, SIP market research findings, standards developments, important regulatory and policy developments, and much more.
For more information about SIPNOC 2014, please visit the event webpage HERE.
For more information regarding the quality content SIPNOC is known for, the presentations given at SIPNOC 2013 are available for viewing.
Click Below to Access the Full Text of Various Announcements From Last Year's SIPNOC:
SIPit 31 Registration is Now Open!
The SIP Forum has announced that registration for the next SIPit event -- SIPit 31 -- is now open! SIPit 31 will be held in Nice, France on September 29-October 3, 2014, and will be hosted by ETSI.
For more details and to register, please visit the SIPit 31 host website here.
To view the results of past SIPit events, please visit the SIPit section of the SIP Forum website HERE.
ATIS and SIP Forum Launch Joint Task Force on IP-NNI
ATIS and the SIP Forum recently announced the formation of a Joint Task Force to fully specify an IP communications network-to-network interface (NNI) between North American service providers. The Joint Task Force will enable the goal, identified in the United States National Broadband Plan, of ensuring all service interconnection between providers occur at the Internet Protocol (IP) level. By enabling ubiquitous IP-based interconnection, the new Task Force will support wide-scale availability of IP-based voice services, and lay the groundwork for ubiquitous advanced real-time communications such as high-definition voice, point-to-point video calling, and multimedia text across wireless, wireline and cable providers.
Read the full text of the ATIS and SIP Forum IP-NNI Task Force announcement.
SIP Forum 2013 Annual General Meeting Results
The SIP Forum 2013 General Meeting was held on Monday, 09 December 2013.
In the meeting, a review of the financial operations was conducted, as well as a review of the operational and technical activities that have occurred over the past 12 months since the last General Meeting. In addition, votes were cast for new board members and for one other voting issue.
For more information about the meeting, including the voting results, the full text of the 2013 Annual General Meeting Notice, and the presentations given during the meeting, please click HERE.
SIP Forum Reports Results From RTCWeb-it 2 Interoperability Testing Event
RTCWeb-it 2, hosted by TMC, was the second WebRTC interoperability testing event produced by the SIP Forum, and was held in Santa Clara, California, Monday, November 18, 2013. This special event allowed WebRTC implementers above and below the WebRTC API to work together with the specification authors to improve their code and the specifications.
RTCWeb-it 2 brought together the browser developers, and other implementers working on the code that makes the WebRTC API work; Application developers that are using the WebRTC API; Gateway developers, particularly those building systems that bridge WebRTC and SIP; and the editors of several of the specifications being developed.
RTCWeb-it 2 was a very successful test session, as most of the scenarios that were exercised "just worked" the first time. There were two browser implementations, and one application suite at the event. The scenarios tested included a rich combination of NAT and firewall restricted network paths, ensuring that the expected media and data channel path was taken in each scenario. (This included forcing the browsers to communicate only through a Turn server.)
One observation from the tests is that implementations cannot rely on streams being available until onAddStream is called. This may or may not happen before the setRemoteDescription success callback.
We found a few deployed applications that are currently changing their behavior based on the User-Agent string, and have cost themselves starting to automatically work cross-browser as the browsers are being updated. New application developers should isolate such decisions. (It would have been nice to disable these checks to see if cross-browser DataChannels worked with the browser code.)
Having a rich application suite available helped drive effective tests, and provided very useful feedback for the application developer. All application developers should consider attending the next event to get the quick feedback this kind of testing environment provides.
SIP Forum and BITKOM Announce New Partnership in the Ongoing Development of SIPconnect
The SIP Forum announced a new alliance with BITKOM, the Federal Association for Information Technology, Telecommunications and New Media in Germany, in the development of the next update to the SIP Forum’s SIPconnect 1.1 Technical Specification.
The formal endorsement of SIPconnect by BITKOM will provide valuable technical input and peer review by one of the European Union’s most prominent technical associations, and help ensure that the next version of SIPconnect meets the requirements of BITKOM members. As part of the agreement, the two organizations will pool requirements as they work towards an update of their respective SIP trunking specifications.
Read the full text of the SIP Forum and BITKOM Announcement.
SIP Forum’s Fax over IP Task Group Achieves Milestone with the Publication of IETF RFC 6913
The SIP Forum announced its Fax over IP (FoIP) Task Group has achieved a significant milestone in its mission to improve international IP fax transport services with the publication of RFC 6913 – a new Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) RFC that introduces a new “sip.fax” media feature tag that aims to enable the intelligent routing of International faxes and greatly improve the reliability of International faxing services.
RFC 6913, co-authored by David Hanes, Kevin Fleming and Gonzalo Salgueiro, defines and registers with IANA a new "fax" media feature tag for use with the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). Currently, fax calls are indistinguishable from voice calls at call initiation. Consequently, fax calls can be routed to SIP user agents that are not fax capable. A "fax" media feature tag implemented in conjunction with caller preferences allows for early advertisement of fax capabilities and consequently, more intelligent fax call routing.
Click here to see the full text of the RFC 6913 announcement.
As part of the work leading up to this new RFC, the Fax-over-IP Interoperability Task Group published a T.38 SIP-SDP subgroup Problem Statement that details a number of SDP offer/answer interoperability issues found while implementing and connecting T.38 compliant endpoints together, primarily over the SIP signaling mechanism. Click HERE to view or download this document.
In addition, the Forum previously published an official task group problem statement, a document that details the various interoperability issues that currently plague FoIP services. This document is available for download HERE.
The FoIP Task Group has developed a task group charter, which you can view HERE.
To view task group documents and other related materials, please visit the FoIP Task Group document repository HERE.
SIPit 30 Results Now Available
SIPit 30 was held in Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, February 18-22 2013, and was hosted by Cisco Systems. The summary report for the event is now available. For more information about the SIPit events, please visit www.sipit.net.
Click Below to Access the Full Text of SIPit 30 Announcements:
SIP Forum Forms New SIP over IPv6 Task Group
The SIP Forum has announced the formation of a new SIP over IPv6 Task Group (IPv6) to address key deployment and interoperability issues in the telecommunications industry’s migration to SIP over IPv6. The new task group, which will enlist key stakeholders from the service provider, application developer and equipment communities, has developed and ratified a charter with the mandate to identify issues with SIP over IPv6 and assess the impact of transition technologies and dual stack devices on existing SIP networks.
For more information, please visit the SIP over IPv6 Task Group Charter webpage.
SIP Forum Names Spencer Dawkins Technical Director
The SIP Forum announced today the selection of Spencer Dawkins as its new Technical Director. A longtime member of the SIP Forum and major contributor to Forum work, Dawkins brings to this role about a decade of leadership experience helping to advance SIP and SIP-related technologies within industry and international standards bodies.
As Technical Director of the Forum’s Technical Working Group, Mr. Dawkins will work with SIP Forum management to translate strategic priorities from the SIP Forum Board of Directors into action, developing these directives into key SIP Forum technical initiatives for implementation by SIP Forum task groups. Mr. Dawkins will work closely with each group including the SIPconnect Task Group, new SIPconnect Interoperability Certification Task Group (SC-IT), User Agent Configuration Task Group, Fax over IP Task Group and the Test Event Working Group (SIPit).
For the full text of this announcement, please click HERE.
SIP Forum Ratifies the SIPconnect Technical Recommendation Version 1.1!
The SIP Forum reached an important milestone by formally ratifying version 1.1 of the SIPconnect Technical Recommendation on March 1, 2011, with the unanimous approval of the SIP Forum Board of Directors.
The formal adoption by the SIP Forum Board of the SIPconnect 1.1 Technical Recommendation is based on recognition that the recommendation has been through credible peer review, including broad membership and significant community review, that it is stable and is well-understood, and that it is believed to have resolved known design choices.
For more information, please click HERE to read the full text of the announcement or visit the main SIPconnect page HERE.
To view or download the ratified SIPconnect Technical Recommendation Version 1.1, please click HERE.
The SIP Forum has created a repository of archived SIPconnect 1.1 documents,
which includes submissions from Avaya, Broadsoft, CableLabs, Cbeyond, MetaSwitch, Microsoft and Siemens, and contains various draft iterations, including v.00 through v.27 documents.
Please click here for the SIPconnect 1.1 Document repository.
SIP Forum UA Configuration Recommendation Ratified and Published as RFC 6011 by the IETF
The SIP Forum has announced that its User Agent Configuration Recommendation for the locating, retrieving and maintaining of SIP User Agents has been ratified and published as RFC 6011 by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
The publishing of the recommendation as RFC 6011 marks a significant milestone for the SIP Forum, the leading IP communications industry association, and its UA Configuration Task Group, led by Chairman John Elwell, the Head of Standardization Strategy at Siemens Enterprise Communications GmbH. The UA Configuration Task Group has been working on the procedure since 2009, and has designed the standard in a manner that addresses the needs of end users and services providers, as well as both small businesses and large enterprises deploying SIP-enabled endpoints.
Now published as RFC 6011 by the IETF’s Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG) after a public review process by the IETF community, the User Agent Configuration Recommendation (UA Config) sets a standard procedure for how a SIP User Agent locates, retrieves and maintains current configuration information for a given SIP Service Provider. It requires that each User Agent, the configuration agent at the service provider and network infrastructure meet such requirements to ensure communication.
To view the full text of the announcement, please click HERE.
To view the published text of RFC 6011, please visit http://tools.ietf.org/search/rfc6011.
- Global Carriers, Cable Operators, and ITSPs Headline Attending Companies at SIPNOC 2013
- XO Communications CTO and SVP of Engineering Randy Nicklas to Keynote at SIPNOC 2013
- SIP Forum Announces FCC Chief Technology Officer Henning Schulzrinne to Reprise Role as Keynote Speaker at SIPNOC 2013
- WebRTC, SIP Trunking, Emergency Services, Security and SIP-IPv6 Deployment Challenges Headline Agenda at SIPNOC 2013
- SIP Forum Extends Call for Presentations for SIPNOC 2013 to February 28, 2013
- SIP Forum’s SIPit 30 Slated for February 18–22, 2013 in Raleigh-Durham, NC
- SIP Forum Opens Call for Presentations for SIPNOC 2013
- SIP Forum Announces Dates and Opens Registration for Third Annual SIPNOC
- SIP Forum Announces New SIP over IPv6 Task Group
- SIP Forum Announces New SIPconnect-IT 2012 SIP Trunking Interoperability Testing Event Dec. 3, 2012
- Global Service Providers Headline Attending Companies at SIP Forum’s SIPNOC US 2012
- SIP Trunking Interoperability, Security and SIP-IPv6 Deployment Challenges Headline Agenda at SIPNOC US 2012
- SIP Forum Names Spencer Dawkins Technical Director
- Worldwide Service Provider Technical Community to Converge at SIPNOC US 2012
- FCC Chief Technology Officer Henning Schulzrinne Keynote Speaker for SIPNOC US 2012
- SIP Forum Names Vijey Jenkal of Comcast to Board of Directors, Re-Elects Chairman Richard Shockey and Director Alan Johnston to New Terms
- The SIP Forum Opens Call for Presentations for SIPNOC US 2012
- SIP Forum Announces New SIP Trunking Interoperability Testing Initiative
- Registration Now Open for the SIP Forum’s SIPNOC US 2012 Conference
- SIP Forum Announces Dates for the Second Annual SIPNOC -- SIP Network Operators Conference
- SIP Forum’s SIPit 29 Slated for October 24–28, 2011 in Monte Carlo, Monaco
- SIP Forum to Have Strong Presence at ITEXPO in Austin, TX
- SIP Forum Releases Results from SIPit 28 in Huntsville, Alabama
- SIP Forum Announces Ratification of Version 1.1 of the SIPconnect Technical Recommendation
- SIP Forum Announces Detailed Conference Agenda for SIPNOC 2011
- Inaugural SIPNOC Attracts Global Service Provider Decision Makers
- SIP Forum Opens Call for Presentations for Inaugural SIPNOC Event
- SIP Forum Announces FCC Chief Technologist Dr. Douglas C. Sicker Keynote Speaker for Inaugural SIPNOC Event
- SIP Forum Launches SIPNOC -- SIP Network Operators Conference -- for the Worldwide Service Provider Community
- SIP Forum UA Configuration Recommendation Ratified and Published as RFC 6011 by the IETF
- SIP Forum Welcomes Georgetown University as New Academic Member
- SIP Forum and i3 Forum Launch Groundbreaking International Test Program for Fax over Internet Protocol
- SIPit 27 to be Held in Taipei, Taiwan -- Registration is Now Open!
- SIP Forum Releases Results from SIPit 26 in Kista, Sweden
- SIP Forum and the i3 Forum Partner to Promote Interoperability of SIP-based Carrier Services
- IPv6 Forum Joins SIPit 26 as Association Sponsor
- SIP Forum and the IPv6 Forum Forge Global Partnership
- SIP Forum Announces that SIPit 26 Registration is Now Open!
- SIP Forum Welcomes Juniper Networks as a New Full Member!
- SIP Forum Welcomes GRADIANT as New Academic-Institutional Member
- SIP Forum Has Strong Presence at ITEXPO in Miami
- SIP Forum Elects New Chairman of the Board of Directors and Board Members; Retains Managing Director
- SIP Forum's Smart Grid SIG: What It Means for Utilities
- New Video Interview on SIP Forum's FoIP Initiative
- SIP Forum Forms New Smart Grid Special Interest Group
- Video Interview with SIP Forum Director and "SIPit Master" Robert Sparks
- SIP Forum Welcomes Tele2 Nederland as a New Full Member!
- SIP Forum UA-Config Task Group Presents at SIPit 25
- SIP Forum Welcomes Bell Canada as a New Full Member
- SIPit 25 Results Now Available
- Eric Burger, SIP Forum Chairman, To Present At U.S Capital Visitor's Center
- Smart Grid Portal Features Q&A with Marc Robins, SIP Forum Managing Director
- SIP Forum User Agent Configuration (UA-Config) Task Group Updates at IETF 75
- SIP Forum FoIP Task Group Publishes Official Fax-over-IP Problem Statement
- SIPconnect Compliance Workshop Redux!
- SIP Forum Welcomes Texas A&M University as New Academic Member
- SIP Forum Opens SIPit 25 Registration
- SIPit 24 Results Now Available
- SIP Forum Welcomes University of Glamorgan as New Academic Member
- SIP Forum Welcomes Comcast Cable as a New Full Member
- SIP Forum Welcomes Genband as a New Full Member
- Eric Burger, SIP Forum Chairman, to Present at eComm2009
- SIP Forum Welcomes Columbia University as New Academic Member
- SIP Forum Welcomes 8x8 as a New Full Member
- SIP Forum Welcomes Cablevision Lightpath as a New Full Member
- SIP Forum Welcomes Two New Academic Members
- New Column by SIP Forum Director Chris Gatch entitled "Virtualization Tsunami
- SIP Forum Chairman Eric Burger Authors New Book
- Nortel rejoins SIP Forum as Full Member Company
- SIP Forum Welcomes XO Communications as a New Full Member
- New Video Interview with SIP Forum Chairman Eric Burger at IETF 73
- New FierceVoIP.com SIP Forum Column Debuts
- New Column by SIP Forum Director Chris Gatch on SIPconnect 1.1
- Mitel rejoins SIP Forum as Full Member Company
- SIP Forum 2008 General Meeting Results are In!
- SIP Forum Welcomes Cedar Point Communications as a New Full Member
- Strategic Path Features Interview with Managing Director Marc Robins
- SIP Forum Welcomes Samsung as a New Full Member
- SIP Forum Announces 2008 Annual General Meeting
- August 2008 SIP Forum Member Newsletter Now Available
- SIP Forum Welcomes ShoreTel as a New Full Member
- Nojitter.com Feature by SIP Forum Managing Director Marc Robins on SIPconnect
- Cox Communications is First Cable Operator to Join SIP Forum
- Column by SIP Forum Director Chris Gatch on Why Mobile SIP Will Surpass IMS
- SIP Forum Experiences Dramatic Surge in Membership
- IPconvergenceTV.com Video Interview with SIP Forum Chairman and Managing Director
- Telephony Online Podcast Features Marc Robins, SIP Forum Managing Director
- Column by SIP Forum Director Chris Gatch on SIP Trunking Growth in 2008
- SIP Forum Ratifies Version 1.0 of the SIPconnect Technical Recommendation
- SIP Forum Elects New Chairman and Appoints Managing Director, Adds Industry Veterans
- Avaya Solutions Attain SIPconnect Compliant Certification
- SIPit 21 Results: Another Successful Event
- SIP Forum Hosts SIP Interoperability Workshop at IETF 70
- SIP Forum 2007 Annual General Meeting Results
- SIPconnect Compliance Program Launched
- SIP Forum, UNH Lab Join Forces for SIP Interoperability